Monday, September 25, 2017

The BYU Idaho Learning Model and Pathway

The BYU Idaho learning model impressed me because I can find a lot of value in it. Honesty and integrity are important qualities to me and those are clearly reflected in the learning model. It's important to act for yourself and accept personal responsibility for your own learning. I found one principle of the learning model to be particularly important, which was to understand that true teaching is done by and with the Holy Ghost. Included in this principle are, to act immediately upon inspiration and to obey the honor code. I was presented with a great opportunity to share this information with a friend this week while buying a soda from a fast food restaurant. We went through the drive through and he ordered just one drink. I was puzzled but I didn't ask any questions. I paid for my drink and was expecting we'd be on to continue with our next plans. Instead he parked and took an empty cup inside the restaurant while I waited in the car. Those minutes passed very slowly as I prayed that God might help him understand the error of his ways. He came back to the car proud to have his free soda. I hesitated for a second but then remembered this principle about teaching with the Holy Ghost. I then told him that I think it is wrong to go in and get a free refill when you are not dining inside the restaurant. I expressed my concern that it was theft and I explained the value of having integrity is more than the cost of the drink. I further stated that he was wrong to make me a part of that experience. We later had the opportunity to read the Learning model together and I was able to show him the video about the honor code. I informed him that I would like to live by the honor code and I hoped to surround myself with like minded people. He had a change of heart and later went to the fast food restaurant and left $1.09 at the register for the free drink refill. The honor code and the learning model can easily be applied to all aspects of our lives. Click below to see the BYU Idaho learning model for yourself!
http://www.byui.edu/about/defining-aspects/learning-model

No comments:

Post a Comment